I’m aware that this isn’t exactly the most original post ever written, but it didn’t seem right to simply ignore the new year altogether.
I’ve got big plans for 2008. This year, I’m going to experience new things. I’m going to get out there and be part of the world. As cheesy as that sounds, damn it, I’m gonna do it! So there!
Here are a few things I’m looking forward to in 2008:
- Voting in my first presidential election.
- Being annoyed at the available candidates in my first presidential election.
- Celebrating my 20th birthday. Three decades down, probably six more to go!
- Finally being old enough to start complaining about how easy the younguns have it. Yes, I know that’s usually reserved for people in their sixties, but at the pace things are going today, we twenty-year-olds feel like we’re in our sixties.
- A whole slew of scientific discoveries.
- The government’s denial of the ramifications of about half of those discoveries.
- A whole slew of new films.
- Being able to ruthlessly shred those films with criticism for being clichéd dross.
- A potential film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s The Road.
- Being blissfully ignorant of the next season of American Idol.
- All the celebrities that we’ll get to see crash and burn.
- Ignoring the news coverage of those celebrities’ fiery falls from grace. (Like they ever had any grace to begin with…)
- And finally…writing a whole bunch of bleakly cynical blog posts!
According to the Chinese calendar, 2008 is the Year of the Rat. As strangely appropriate as that may be, being an election year and all, I prefer to think of 2008 as the Year of the Cynic. That is to say, this is my year!
I wish you all the very best in the new year!