Yes, I know, another rant, but I think I’ll have the backing of a fairly sizeable segment of the populaton here.
And thus, my list of words that should be purged from informal English:
- LOL (when actually pronounced, and to a lesser extent when spelled)
- pwn, or any variation or extension there of
- n00b, and all variants
- Wow, Ooh, and all other common exclamations used in an overly sarcastic manner
- pr0n (what a sad, sad means of denial)
- Any, and I repeat ANY word that has an X in it when it should not.
- Any word that has the first phoneme replaced with another for alliterative purposes
- Headshot (Those of you who have experienced the same revulsion as I have with the Counter-Strike culture will know exactly what I mean)
- WoW (In reference to World of Warcraft, which is not hard enough to pronounce to require an acronym)
- fag (just what we need: friend-to-friend condescension and homophobia all rolled into one…)
- hax0r (the glory days of the hackers ended as soon as hacking began to be taught in universities, and on the Internet)
- w00t, and variations (the English language does not, and I repeat does not need any more exclamatory words)
I don’t know how these words managed to remain popular for as long as they have. It boggles the mind.